Thursday, 3 January 2013

Some Interesting * Writing* Observations on 2012

Hello, and Happy New Year to all my followers! I hope 2013 brings you happiness and light and yada yada yada, you know the drill. 2012 was a neutral year for me, the good balancing the bad in terms of life changing moments, and hopefully, 2013 will tip the scales in my favour. Or at least, that's the plan.

This post is going to be short, as I want to focus it on my writing this past year. Chances are you won't care a lot about this, but I feel like it is something I need to share. For the year of 2012, I kept a journal of how many words I wrote a day and then totalled it up at the end of the week. I have OCD, I know, but this has turned out to be surprisingly useful. It kept me disciplined and striving to beat my previous record. However, it had a few drawbacks. The last few months of the year left me quite stressed and so I wasn't writing as much - in fact, I barely wrote anything. This lack of entries in the journal made me guilty and angry with myself, making the stress worse...and well, it wasn't a very nice feeling. Despite that, the journal was a good idea, and the results it showed were interesting:


  • In 2012, I wrote *about* 257,603 words - just over J.K Rowling's Order of the Phoenix  Considering I was studying for exams and coping with some stress, I think that is a pretty good word count!
  • The average word count per week was 6440 words, though I wrote more words in the latter half of the year than in the former.
  • The highest word count was 11534 words, which was the week I was writing the climax of Wolfbane. The second highest was 11371 words, which was the week I finished Arwyn.
  • My writing style changed a lot over the year. For example in the first few months, I was writing little and often, but after the summer I was writing a lot a few times a week. The first method amassed about 6000 words a week; the latter about 8000.

So, that's that.  I think I did quite well with myself over the past year. This year though, the rules are being relaxed - there is no journal, no schedule telling me I need to write. I will write when I want and hopefully, I'll feel better for it.

No comments: