Saturday, 28 January 2012

What's in a name?

Bit of  a different post today, just because I felt like it :)

Now, some of you might have noticed that some of the names I use for my characters are, well, weird. Take the heroine of my book for example. Lexie. Its a pretty odd name, not exactly one you would find on the street. However, there is an actual reason for her name. In fact, there is a reason why my characters sometimes have strange names - Meanings. Baby name meanings.

Yup. I spend most of time before writing a story on thinkbabynames.com and other sites. Don't get me wrong, some of the character's names just jump into my head - like Matt from my story 'Matt' - but when a character has a strong personality trait or physical look, the first thing I do is pop on the internet.

Ok, so back to Lexie. I spent ages trying to find a name for her. She was originally called Lana, which means 'afloat' in Hawaiian , but the name didn't suit her. So, I went browsing, and eventually I found it, the name I was looking for. Lexie. Lexie is a variant of Alexandra, which means 'defender of man'. I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it. It fitted Lexie's character perfectly. She's strong, brave and it's not hard to picture her as a Roman gladiator, with a spear in her hand. It's also quite ironic in Lexie's case, as she was made to destroy men, not defend them. Funnily enough, Alex in 'Over and Out' is a variant of Alexandra as well - fitting seeing as she destroys hordes of zombies.

A couple of times this frantic name searching has paid off, and been used in a story as a main component. For example, the villain in 'Willow Hall' is called Lilith. This is essential in the story as Matt (wow, I use that name a lot!) rightly point out that it means witch.  Here's a small list of names that mean something.


Andrea - manly (Human Hunt)
Lucy - light..as in good. (Lucy)
Fintan - white fire (In my next story)
Arianna - silver (In my next story)
Salvatore - saviour (In my next story)
Julie Yaxley - Yaxley is the surname of a Death eater in Harry Potter. I've also hidden hundreds of HP references throughout my blog. Most recently the constant appearance of the number 394 ("Turn to page 394." - Snape) and the *accidental* likeness of Tom Marley to a famous Harry Potter actor.

Chris Rankin/ Percy Weasley/ Tom Marley :D
So, yeah, that's how I choose names for my characters. Comment if you liked this post - I'd quite like to do more of them!

5 comments:

Rachel :) said...

Haha, I do to! I love getting unusual names when I'm writing stories :) Arianna and Salvatore are names out of Eragon I think, hehe. Great post, do more! xD

Lily♥ said...

I wonder what my name means...
I can't wait to here your new stories, the one with the names of white fire sounds interesting- as well as the other ones!
I really liked this post actually- you should do more :D

Cat said...

I really liked this post! 'Twas very interesting ^_^

Rose said...

whats sweet is that you put MY name on the picture :) *squee*

this was really cool - i thought you had just plucked the name lexie from your imagination, i didnt realise that it actually meant something!! awesomepossum.

and, finally, sorry to crush your dreams but WHEN WILL YOU REALISE THAT THAT GUY IS NOT HOT?? (justsaying)
<3

Emily said...

she...she...she doesn't think he's hot does she??