Monday, 9 January 2012

City of the Falling Sky - Book Review!

Hiya! I've decided to do a book review today, for the simple reason that I have no stories to give you! But don't worry I am currently in the throes of writing one...or two...or four...
Anyway, I have reached 2000 views! Thank you! My list of followers has been slowly growing over the past few weeks, so hello to any new readers out there!

When Seckry Sevenstars is forced out of his village by the greedy Endrin Corporation and relocated to the daunting metropolis of Skyfall City, he harbours resentment for the company and vows to get them back one day for taking away his home, his school and his friends.

Fortunately, the marvels of the city do a good job in distracting Seckry from his anger and homesickness, and it isn’t long before he’s competing at Friction (the city’s most popular multiplayer video game), slurping awe-inspiring multicoloured milkshakes, and getting butterflies on his first date.

Then, when a mysterious email asks Seckry to break into the headquarters of the Endrin Corporation and steal a container full of worms for a hefty sum of money, his anger resurfaces, and he can’t resist the revenge he promised himself.

Alone at night, Seckry creeps through the sewers whilst wondering what experiments Endrin might be doing on the worms, and emerges into the silent complex. But the worms aren’t the only thing that he finds. Staring at him through the darkness, with wide, innocent eyes, is something that makes Seckry’s heart almost stop.

A girl.

She’s shaking, petrified, and has no recollection of who she is or what she’s doing there.

Floodlights bleach the area and Seckry has no choice but to grab a hold of the girl and escape with her.

Suddenly the question of what Endrin were doing with a few worms becomes the last thing on Seckry’s mind. What were Endrin doing with a human?

Genre - Young Adult Sci/fi
Author - Joseph Evans
Rating - 4/5

For those of you who don't know, I am the proud owner of a Kindle. This was the first book that I read on it, and it was an enthralling read. The plot is fast and engaging, the characters interesting and deep, and the description was fantastic. There were many plot threads that somehow managed to weave themselves into an ending that left you breathless. I barely left my Kindle to eat, sleep, drink...I just had to keep reading! I'm eagerly awaiting the next in the series. 

The only drawback I could see is that for the advanced reader it is slightly too young  to be fully enjoyable. The other problem is that you end up craving a sequel and wanting to play Friction! I joke, but this is an amazing book. I would recommend it for Hunger Games fans and harry Potter fans alike. I don't think it is available in book form yet, but you an download the software to read it on your computer. This is a must read. 
Amazon - Free!!

3 comments:

Rose said...

oooh i must read that. it looks divergent-ish, correct me if im wrong. is it brand new? I'll be reading it when it reaches book form!

Caroline said...

i agree with rose!

Lily♥ said...

:O A KINDLE?!!? I prefer my books ;p
and just a bit curious... when will you let us read some of wolfbane??