Thursday, 16 June 2011

The Toymaker....Book Review! :D

Hi! Haven't done a book review in a while so I decided to that today instead of a story. I'm writing a "creative essay" in English just now, so I'll post that next time :P Enjoy!!



What good is a toy that will wind down? 
What if you could put a heart in one?
A real heart.
One that beat and beat and didn’t stop.
What couldn't you do if you could make a toy like that?


 From the moment Mathias becomes the owner of a mysterious piece of paper, he is in terrible danger. Entangled in devious plots and pursued by the sinister Doctor Leiter and his devilish toys, Mathias finds himself on a quest to uncover a deadly secret.


Genre: Fantasy Thriller
Author: Jeremy De Quidt
Rating: 3/5


My friend Rose gave me this book while over at a sleepover, and I have to admit I was very excited about reading it. A book about moving dolls and evil Doctors? It sounded like the book for me. It was, unfortunately, wasn't what I had hoped for.

For a start, I think the tagline "Neither truth nor lies can save you now.." was a bit misleading. The doll on the front cover appeared very little in the book, and the book only mentions "truth and lies" twice! The actual Toymaker appears twice as well - in the prologue and near the end of the book. For most of the novel, he has very little to do with the plot and he is never seen or heard of other than small scene at the end. I think the title is terrible for describing the book - promising the reader something that is not delivered. I love the cover illustration though :P

The writing style used it a bit weird, the author writing as though he is a storyteller. The action and dialogue is very quick and unanticipated, something that is a bit of a problem for someone who (occasionally!!) scans some of the page instead of reading it. I often had to go back and read some of the previous pages to understand what was happening! This shouldn't affect a more observant reader though :D.

The other thing I noticed about this book was that it was surprisingly dark. Torture (fingers breaking like "dry twigs") and fatal injuries seem to happen quite a lot in this book. The hero Mathias always seems to have a life-threatening would or illness - it is also revealed that his uncle physically abused him. The children are tied up numerous times and....well, its just generally depressing!

I quite liked this book, but I found that the plot was quite confusing. There is barely any mention of any dolls or moving creatures of any sort...there was only one twist that I was surprised at (wink wink, nod nod ;P) I know I've mentioned quite a lot of negative things about this book, but it really was quite good. I would recommend it - but with the precaution that all may not be what it seems.....

3 comments:

Rose said...

christ have u read it already?? jeezuz! yh its not the best book ive evr read but its alright. i LOVED the disgusting torture bits and gruesome horror. i think the author deserves a lot of praise for some of the (frankly terrifying) things he comes up with. glad u liked it :) x

Cat :D said...

Sounds...different..But pretty good! :P I love the cover :D

Jenni said...

@Cat same!! Its so creepy...