Sunday, 29 May 2011

Theodore Boone.....Book Review :D

Hi! Eeek! Brass competition today! So nervous.... :/
I changed the font on my blog because someone said it was too hard to read. I hope this is a bit easier to read :)
Also, please check out this website - its amazing!


In the small city of Strattenburg, there are many lawyers, and though he's only thirteen years old, Theo Boone thinks he's one of them. Theo knows every judge, policeman, court clerk—and a lot about the law. He dreams of being a great trial lawyer, of a life in the courtroom.

But Theo finds himself in court much sooner than expected. Because he knows so much—maybe too much—he is suddenly dragged into the middle of a sensational murder trial. A cold-blooded killer is about to go free, and only Theo knows the truth.


The stakes are high, but Theo won't stop until justice is served.

Genre: Legal Drama
Author: John Grisham
Publisher: Hodder
Rating: 2/5

I bought this book expecting an interesting thriller - a book where the world of crime, teenagers and lawyers merge into a roller coaster. I was surprised to find that instead of a thrill ride, it fell flat on it's face and stopped moving. 

The writing style itself is good - lots of description - but the plot was terrible. Perhaps it was just my expectations were too high but I found myself bored and falling asleep halfway through the novel. The book itself is mostly a mixture of description and calm conversation, and the amount of action or even something that would arouse the readers attention is minimal. The only thing I enjoyed in the book was Theo's exchanges with people in his class but even that was spread out. The book does make trials slightly easier to understand, but to a girl who has read most of the Jodi Picoult novels, this does nothing to the credibility of the book. 

Theo is a likeable character and John Grisham does a good job of putting this across. He helps out at the homeless shelter, he helps his classmates and teachers with legal issues and he teaches less fortunate people algebra. The villain, however, is obviously the murderer. We know very little about him, other than the fact he brutally murdered his wife. 

The ending was terrible. Too many things were left unsaid - the trial wasn't even resolved! The mysterious character Omar Cheepe is not explained and the actual book finished too quickly. I spent 5 minutes trying to figure out if I had skipped a page or missed a chapter. It turned out I hadn't...

I was very disappointed  with this book and will not be reading any more by this author....ever!

4 comments:

Rach said...

I wouldn't say please DON'T BUY IT!!!!! because it might be someone else's type of book (obviously not yours though).

Cat :D said...

It really doesn't sound good, I won't read it!

Lesley said...

John Grisham as an adult author writes well; perhaps it is only his venture into YA fiction which doesn't work. I would try another of his books to see if you enjoy it more.

Rose said...

aww sounds alright... :/
hey thanks for changing the font! ;L