Tuesday, 17 May 2011

Room......Book Review :D

Hi! Doing a book review today to try and catch up with the obscene amount of books I want to review. I read this book a couple of weeks ago, and I really enjoyed it :)
P.S. I had a really good weekend at Loch Ken. :D


To five-year-old Jack, Room is the entire world. It’s where he was born, where he and his Ma eat and play and learn. At night, Ma puts him safely to sleep in the wardrobe, in case Old Nick comes.


Room is home to Jack, but to Ma it’s the prison where she’s been held for seven years. Through determination, ingenuity, and fierce motherly love, Ma has created a life for her son. But Jack’s curiosity is building alongside Ma’s desperation — and she knows Room cannot contain either indefinitely. …


Genre: Drama
Author: Emma Donoghue
Publisher: Little Brown and Company
Rating: 5/5

I loved this book! Told from the point of view of a 5-year old boy, Jack, it has profound, simplistic ideas on life and society.  Based on the Josef Fritzl case, Jack and his "Ma" live in a single, locked room in the back garden of "Old Nick", the man the imprisoned Ma 2 years before Jack was born. The book follows the pair as they escape and begin life on outside Room.
Jack, being only 5, speaks in simplistic language. This gives the book a surprisingly childish feel, despite the dark subject and alarming twists and surprises. Jack describes things as proper nouns, such as Room, Table and Rug which stresses the fact that he is blind to the world outside, and when he does go outside he has to make a choice that could devastate his mother -  does he like Room better than the outside?
This heart-warming book proves that love can grow anywhere and that you don't have to write in long sentences and tricky similes to create an award winning book! I recommend this book to anyone and everyone! It is impossible to put down and I was still thinking about days after I finished this book :)
Amazon-£3.99!!

2 comments:

Cat :D said...

I've got to read this!!! Sounds amazing :D

Great book review ;)

Facebook Status said...

A perfect synchronization of innocence, emotions and sentiments --- That's my definition of room... Kudos to Emma Donoghue for writing such a lovely book. From the first page itself, you start bonding with Jack and his Ma. I cherished every word, every sentence of this book... Undoubtedly, it tops my most favorite book list... Believe me, you will never regret buying this book.

Seriously, Room is a book to treasure... :)