Thursday, 12 May 2011

Fallen grace.......Book review :D

Hi! Before I start my review, I just want to say that I'm now going to be posting on Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday! Unfortunately, I'm going away for the weekend so I won't be able to post on Sunday - Boohoo :(
Oh well, on with the show!

Grace Parkes has just had to do a terrible thing. Having given birth to an illegitimate child, she has travelled to the famed Brookwood Cemetery to place her small infant's body in a rich lady's coffin. Following the advice of a kindly midwife, this is the only way that Grace can think of to give something at least to the little baby who died at birth, and to avoid the ignominy of a pauper's grave. 


Distraught and weeping, Grace meets two people at the cemetery: Mrs Emmeline Unwin and Mr James Solent. These two characters will have a profound affect upon Grace's life. But Grace doesn't know that yet. For now, she has to suppress her grief and get on with the business of living: scraping together enough pennies selling watercress for rent and food; looking after her older sister, who is incapable of caring for herself; thwarting the manipulative and conscience-free Unwin family, who are as capable of running a lucrative funeral business as they are of defrauding a young woman of her fortune.


Genre: Historical Drama
Author: Mary Hooper
Publisher: Bloomsbury


This is an amazing read! Set in Victorian London, it is full of drama and suspense that draws you in and stops you from putting the book down. This was one of the books I was given at the Pushkin Prize-giving and I started reading it as soon as I got home. It is, unfortunately, quite a short read at only 294 pages, but it is well worth getting!
The main character, Grace Parkes, is interesting and sympathetic, as is her older sister Lily. The villains of the book (Sylvester Unwin, Mr Unwin and Mrs Unwin) are truly horrible and the author does a very good job of showing this too us. For example, Mr Unwin, who runs a funeral business, is often shown cheating weeping women out of money and his cousin, also in the funeral business, is shown as sly and cruel.
I would definitely recommend this book and I think that every teenage girl should have a copy on her bookshelf!
Amazon- £6.74!

3 comments:

Rach said...

Great first review!

Rose said...

Hey! sounds fantastic!! cant wait to read it (oh yes, i am going to read it!! i think u should DEFINITELY keep going with ur book reviews, theyre awesome (and u read more thn me so i know what 2 read next!!!!) <3 luv ya!! xxx :)

Cat :D said...

Sounds really good! I've read all of Mary Hooper's books apart from this one, but I've been meaning to get it! :) Great book review :D